JAY-Z Net Worth, Height, Age, Wife, Family, Biography
Jay-Z is an American rapper, record producer, and entrepreneur. He is one of the most successful hip hop artists of all time, having sold more than 100 million records and receiving 21 Grammy Awards for his work. Jay-Z is also a successful businessman, with a stake in a number of businesses including the Roc-A-Fella Records label and the 40/40 Club. He is married to singer Beyoncé Knowles.
JAY-Z Net Worth, Height, Age, Wife, Family, Biography
- Real Name – Shawn Corey Carter
- Profession – Rapper, Songwriter, Record Producer, Entrepreneur
- Net Worth – $1.3 Billion USD
- Famous Songs – “Empire State of Mind”, “Run This Town”, “Numb/Encore”
- Albums – Reasonable Doubt (1996), The Blueprint (2001), American Gangster (2007)
- Married to – Beyoncé
- Height – 6’4″ (1.93 m)
- Weight – 195 lbs (88 kg)
- Nationality – American
- Ethnicity – African American
- Parents – Gloria Carter and Adnes Reeves
- Siblings – Andrea Carter, Erica Carter, and two half-siblings
- Children – Blue Ivy Carter, Rumi Carter, and Sir Carter
- Hometown – Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
- College/University – George Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School
JAY-Z Early Life & Career
Shawn Corey Carter, better known as Jay-Z, was born on December 4th, 1969 in Brooklyn, New York City. His mother Gloria was a homemaker and his father Adnes was a former U.S. marine and regional sales manager for a chemical company. He has three siblings, two sisters Andrea and Erica and one half-brother Tyrone. Jay-Z attended the George Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School before dropping out to pursue a career in music.
In the early 1990s, Jay-Z began his rap career with the group Roc-A-Fella Records, which he co-founded with Damon Dash and Kareem Biggs Burke. He released his debut album Reasonable Doubt in 1996 to critical acclaim. The album featured the hits “Can’t Knock the Hustle” and “In My Lifetime”. In 1997, he released his second album In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 which included the hit single “ Sunshine”.
Jay-Z’s third album Vol. 2… Hard Knock Life was released in 1998 and became his most commercially successful album, selling over five million copies in the U.S. The album featured the singles “Can I Get A…” and “Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)”. In 1999, Jay-Z released his fourth album Vol. 3… Life and Times of S. Carter. The album featured the hits “Big Pimpin’” and “I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)”.
In 2000, Jay-Z released his fifth album The Dynasty: Roc La Familia which was a collaborative album featuring artists from Roc-A-Fella Records. The album included the hit singles “Izzo (H.O.V.A.)” and “Change Clothes”. In 2001, Jay-Z released his sixth album The Blueprint which is considered one of his best albums. The album featured the hits “Izzo (H.O.V.A.)”, “Jigga That Nigga”, and “Song Cry”.
In 2002, Jay-Z released his seventh album The Blueprint²: The Gift & The Curse. The double album featured the hits “’03 Bonnie & Clyde”, “Excuse Me Miss”, and “Hovi Baby”. In 2003, Jay-Z released his eighth album The Black Album. The album was promoted as his retirement album but he later returned to making music. The album featured the hits “Change Clothes”, “Dirt Off Your Shoulder”, and “99 Problems”.
In 2006, Jay-Z released his ninth album Kingdom Come. The album featured the hit singles “Show Me What You Got” and “Lost One”. In 2007, Jay-Z released his tenth album American Gangster. The album was inspired by the film of the same name and featured the hits “Roc Boys (And the Winner Is…)” and “Blue Magic”.
In 2008, Jay-Z was ranked as the tenth richest hip hop artist in the U.S. with a net worth of $300 million. In 2009, he was ranked as the fifth richest with a net worth of $475 million. In 2010, he was ranked as the second richest with a net worth of $550 million. As of 2022, Jay-Z has an estimated net worth of $1.3 billion.
- Reasonable Doubt (1996)
- The Blueprint (2001)
- American Gangster (2007)
- Watch The Throne (2011) (with Kanye West)
- Magna Carta… Holy Grail (2013)
- 4:44 (2017)
JAY-Z Personal Life
Jay-Z is married to Beyoncé Knowles and they have three children: Blue Ivy Carter, Rumi Carter, and Sir Carter.
In his spare time, Jay-Z enjoys playing basketball and golf.
In 2001, Jay-Z was arrested for assault after stabbing a record producer in a nightclub. The charges were later dropped.In 2010, Jay-Z was accused of using a homophobic slur against an music executive. He denied the allegations and said he is not homophobic.In 2017, Jay-Z was criticized for wearing a pendant that resembled a Confederate flag on his neck. He said he was not aware of the connotations of the pendant and that it was given to him by a friend.
In 2006, Jay-Z founded the Shawn Carter Foundation to help underprivileged youth. The foundation provides scholarships, mentoring, and financial assistance to young people. In 2010, Jay-Z partnered with the National Basketball Association (NBA) to launch the Roc Nation Sports agency. The agency represents NBA players. In 2013, Jay-Z launched the Made in America music festival to support American jobs and businesses. The festival is held annually in Philadelphia.
JAY-Z Awards and Nominations
Jay-Z has won 22 Grammy Awards and is one of the best-selling artists of all time with over 100 million records sold worldwide. He has also been ranked as one of the greatest rappers of all time by Rolling Stone and Vibe magazine. In 2017, Jay-Z was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
- Grammy Awards
- Best Rap Solo Performance – “99 Problems” (2004)
- Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group – “Crazy in Love” (with Beyoncé) (2004)
- Best Rap/Sung Collaboration – “Umbrella” (with Rihanna) (2008)
- Best Rap Performance – “Run This Town” (2009)
- Best Rap/Sung Collaboration – “Empire State of Mind” (with Alicia Keys) (2010)
- Best Rap Album – The Blueprint 3 (2010)
- Best Rap Performance – “Niggas in Paris” (with Kanye West) (2012)
- Billboard Music Awards
- Top Rap Artist – The Blueprint 3 (2010)
- Top Rap Album – Watch the Throne (with Kanye West) (2012)
- MTV Video Music Awards
- Video of the Year – “Otis” (with Kanye West) (2012)
- Best Hip-Hop Video – “Run This Town” (2009)
- Best Male Video – “Empire State of Mind” (with Alicia Keys) (2010)
- Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Hal David Starlight Award (2017)
Some Lesser Known Facts About JAY-Z
- Does JAY-Z smoke?: No
- Does JAY-Z drink alcohol?: Yes
- Jay-Z started selling drugs at the age of 12. He later gave up drug dealing to pursue a career in rap music.
- In 2003, Jay-Z founded the record label Roc-A-Fella Records.
- In 2006, Jay-Z became the CEO of Def Jam Recordings.
- In 2008, Jay-Z was ranked as the tenth richest hip hop artist in the U.S. with a net worth of $300 million.
- In 2009, he was ranked as the fifth richest with a net worth of $475 million.